The Gratton Leadership Program
The Gratton Leadership Program (Counselor-In-Training program) is a long-standing camp tradition at YMCA Camp Grady Spruce. The Gratton Leadership Program is a co-ed program for campers who have turned 16 years by June 1 of their eligible summer. It is an application and interview-based process; applicants must demonstrate maturity and be able to represent themselves in the same manner that we require our staff to conduct themselves – in the highest standard.
We hope that the application and interview process will help provide you with skills for the next step, i.e., college applications and ‘real world’ job interviews. It is our goal to mold strong leaders who understand that dedication and hard work will lead them to better outcomes when making choices. We are looking for those who want to give back to the camp that has given so much to them.
- The two-week co-ed Gratton Leadership Program is designed to teach leadership, community and counseling skills and team building in regard to working with youth to 16 year old participants.
- The Gratton Leadership Program works to develop and encourage leadership, problem-solving, responsibility and independence, which is essential in our staff’s futures, both at Camp Grady Spruce and life at home. CITs participate in creating, supporting and leading some camp activities while enjoying the fun of camp.
- A successful participant will have shown themselves to be enthusiastic, dedicated, hard-working and devoted to the YMCA Camp Grady Spruce Mission.
- The CIT Leader will use the dynamics of shared experiences and responsibility to bond the participants. CITs will be visible at camp as leaders in CIT skits at campfires, hosting chapel and talent shows, assisting counselors in cabins and a canoe trip, and service projects are some of the ways CITs will make themselves known to the camp community.
- It is important to understand CITs are campers and not on staff. Their special leadership program is co-ed and includes much autonomy. They are expected to demonstrate excellent behavior and be a positive role model for the campers and camp staff. They will be held accountable for any inappropriate actions.
Fees & Dates
After acceptance, registration will begin on January 1, 2021.
CIT Session Cost: $1525
CIT 2021 Dates: July 4-17, 2021
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is a CIT a camper position or staff position?
A: Counselor-In-Training is a 2-week camper program.
Q: Will I ever be able to work at Camp Grady Spruce if I’m not a CIT?
A: Yes, when you are 17 you can apply for a Jr. Counselor position. When you are 18 and a high school graduate you can apply and interview for a Camp Counselor position.
Q: Can I get volunteer hours for being a CIT?
A: No, Counselor-In-Training is a leadership program.
Q: When will I know if I have been accepted to the YMCA Camp Grady Spruce CIT program?
A: All applicants will hear from us by February 1, 2021. The earlier you apply, the earlier you will receive an answer.